Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Homeless People" are People Experiencing Homelessness: A Look from the Inside Out

At the Shalom community center, I observed all the ways that language, in its various forms, affects perceptions of people experiencing homelessness and why certain terms associate with more negative stereotypes are more commonly used than more factual and relatable terms. In my time at Shalom, I have come to appreciate the approach they use: they reframe suffering in the context of of strengths. "Those served by Shalom" are guests. Guests are referred to as "people experiencing homelessness." By using such language, Shalom recognizes the truth: that guests are people experiencing a difficult time in their lives that is most likely not their fault and not something they can control, which is something that every human being, housed or not housed, will have to deal with multiple times throughout life. They reframe suffering in the context of strengths. From "homeless people" to "individuals going through a rough time but who can bring themselves out of and overcome this temporary struggle."

[I elaborate on this subject much more below in my projects and writings.]


•M A J O R P R O J E C T S•


Balance & Bridges: 'Perfect Philanthropy' In Academe
Perceptions Associated With Homelessness Are Not Black & White
Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones,
But Words Will Form Your Perception of Me
(To be completed May 3rd, 2011)
(My Contribution)
Re-Writing Shalom Community's Volunteer Manual:
From a Volunteer's Point of View
(My contribution along with my group members')
Compare our updated & revised version with the section
from the old volunteer manual: [Old section from manual]

•S U P P O R T I N G P R O J E C T S

Body Images: An Assessment on Community Service Writings
Manipulation of an Image, Sending of a Message, Changing of a Life

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones,
But Words Will Form Your Perception of Me
"Barriers": A Reflective Excerpt From My Fieldnotes
(Wrapping Up)
Shalom Community Center: Helping People In Need

A R T I F A C T S & C U L T U R A L P E R F O R M A N C E S•
My Name is Not "Those People"
Shalom Community Center of Bloomington, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment